why 70s Alfa clocks don't work?

In a discussion with a Berlina owner last night, we pondered why the
clocks on 70s and earlier Alfas never seem to work.  In the last year I
read an article about this issue, but can't remember the reason or the
location of the article. It might have been in one of the UK classic car
mags, or maybe in an old Alfa Owner.  Anyone remember it?  Other than
replacing the movement in the clock with a modern quartz unit, does
anyone know how to fix these clocks? Is it always the same thing that
goes wrong? In my umpteen Berlinas and Giulia Supers, none ever had a
working clock.  Thanks

Andrew Watry
Berlina Register