RE : friends along Pheonix-LA-SF route

>> I will go either I-10 to LA and up,
>> or alternatively US 93 up to Kingman and across I-40
>> to Barstow and then CA 58 to Bakersfield, etc.

Andrew,

if your path takes you through LA, then i suggest by all means
that you take the 101 north and not the I-5.

going through Kern county ( Bakersfield area ), Kings county,
and Fresno county is such a long, straight, boring, hot,
desert drone ! !  in contrast, the 101 has beautiful scenery, few long straights, cooler temps, and will take you high across
The Bay by means of the Oakland Bridge to get to Berkeley.
did i mention that the I-5 is a long, straight, boring, hot, desert
drone ! !    the 101 is a few more miles, but i think it is worth
the effort.  besides, this way you also pass by my place, where
LA county ends and Ventury county begins.

i have lots of tools and a few spare 2L parts, but no current
means of towing.

good luck and Godspeed with your trip !

--Dion Fields
--73 GTV - undergoing restoration ( gosh, this is a lot of work ! )
--Thousand Oaks, CA