Spider clutch noise, nice customer service story

I had the same problem with my Spider as you describe it. I was picking up a few small parts at Auto Delta here in Atlanta and was telling the mechanic about this strange noise from the clutch/transmission, but it only did it when the car was dead cold. Same kind of rattle or whirring sound.  But after a few miles on the road it would clear up. I was expecting him to tell me to bring it in and let me replace the clutch for $$$ . But to my surprise he told me it was probably just torn shifter boots under the center console and to check that first before bringing it in.  He took the time to show me how the center console comes apart and where all the hidden hardware is located. I wasn't driving the Spider that day, so I bought the boots and headed for home. His instructions were perfect and when I got it all apart that's exactly what I found. Both boots were torn up and in pretty bad shape allowing the transmission noise to enter the cabin. I installed the new boots, buttoned the thing up and when I started her up, no more noise! Here I was expecting to shell out some cash for a clutch job and I fixed it myself for about $25. So many thanks to Auto Delta for the help. It's nice to get good customer service once in awhile.

Paul,  I would have a look at the shifter boots before digging too deep. It's probably the first step in dropping the trans anyway.

Gary Cerasoli

'86 Spider Veloce

My 1987 Graduate is exhibiting something I need help diagnosing.
Here's
what happens:

When the car is cold, it makes a slight grumbling rattle which seems to
be
coming from the clutch area.  Opening the hood and listening closely
seems
to confirm this is indeed where the sound is coming from, and
depressing the
clutch (whether in gear or not) makes the sound vanish imediately.  I
can
sort of "feel" the rattle when resting my hand gently on the shift
lever,
but it is very, very slight.

The sound continues when doddling along in any gear as long as the
clutch
pedal is not depressed.

After about five minutes of warm-up running, the sound vanishes
completely,
and will not return until the car sits for an extended period and gets
very
cold again.

Everything feels fine with the clutch and transmission.  It shifts
smoothly,
the clutch seems to engage and disengage normally, and other than the
sound,
it's pretty much transparent in terms of how the car runs and drives.

Before I start tearing into it, anyone know what's up?

Thanks in advance,

Paul Misencik
P. Roman Media
Huntersville, NC  28078