spider clutch issue?

Hi Paul:

As anal-retentive as I am about Alfa's, I don't know if I'd worry too much about the noise you've described. Several replies on the Digest suggested the clutch release bearing, and I'd agree that's the likely source of the noise. But, you mentioned that the noise is gone once the engine has fully warmed up. That, to me, suggests nothing serious. Perhaps the release bearing is vibrating on the sleeve it slides on, or maybe rattling against the release fork (it could even be the fork that's noisy). The engine will vibrate more when it's cold and running rougher, and that's probably just enough to cause the noise. I say wait and see if it gets any worse, or maybe it's time to change the spark plugs and smooth out the cold idle.

The dashboard in my wife's Volvo 850 Turbo rattles at idle until the engine warms up, maybe 10 minutes. Same idea, and I've got no intention of pulling the dash apart.

Regards,

Dean
'74 & '87 Spider's