RE: Milkshake

It has been my observation on cars over the last 30 or so years, that the presence of
milkshake or mayonaise in the rocker covers etc is much more apparent on the newer designs
with a closed crankcase system.  On the older - and polluting types! - the oil breather
vented to the outside air and consequently it was less likely to build up condensation
within the motor.

My mother bought a new Morris Minor in 1965 which had all the new
emissions gadgets.  I had a 1950's vintage of the same car which had only an open
crankcase breather.  On mine there never was any sign of milkshake, but everytime I took
the rocker cover off on the new version it was thick with mayonaise.

John
Durban
South Africa
Alfetta 1.8L turbo