Re: classic radios

>Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 21:15:08 -0500
>From: Scott Johnson <scott@domain.elided>
>Subject: classic radios
>
>I'm interested in putting a period radio in my 71 spider, but am at a
>loss as to what went in there at that time. I know it's a classic "2
>post" format, but make, model, etc, are just beyond me. Hell, the owners
>manual doesn't even specify a place for speakers in a spider, just a
>place for the head unit.
>
>I know some of you out there were buying alfas in 71. A few I think even
>still own them. Any ideas/leads/suggestions about aquiring said period
>radio? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Mon deux cents... My 69 spider has a vintage Blaupunkt AM/FM/SW radio installed which likely is original to the car but also likely dealer installed. This radio was designed for one speaker only which was crammed under the dash. I've set it up to take two speakers but the poor output is meager so I've added a hidden (and minimal) amp. My car was originally sold in SF so perhaps that dealer was a little more enlightened/euro-oriented then other dealers (and owners) of the time who were putting cheap Japanese radios in anything that moved.

Nice thing about Blaupunkts of that time is they can still be repaired! Try ebay or Hemmings.

--
Michael Williams
Sacramento, CA, USA

69 Duetto