Re: classic radios

One thing I noticed when I went on oldautoradio.com is that the offered radios
generally seem to be European market versions.

They are identified as such by having buttons for band selection labeled U, M,
and L rather than FM and AM.

U, M, and L stand for Ultrakurzwelle (corresponding to the US FM band),
Mittelwelle (corresping to the US AM band), and Langwelle (long-wave, of no
use in the US). On most models it is a limitation that the FM coverage only
extends to 104 MHz, not 108 MHz as in the US.

Another, minor detail is that European FM broadcasters use 50 microseconds
preemphasis, where the norm in the US is 75 microseconds. This will give the
European radio an inappropriate coloration of the sound, although this is
probably irrelevant as you are driving along in your Spider.

Sonny 91 164S, Baltimore