Marelli plex

Jon:
It is possible that the starter solenoid is generating a big voltage spike
when it de-energizes. This would explain the fact that your ignition fails
when you try to start the engine. You can buy a 5 amp diode from radio shack
and connect the end with the bar to the solenoid and the other end to
ground. This will sink the electrical energy to ground when the starter
solenoid unloads.
I doubt that your problems are caused by the charging system. I think that
your ignition would fail when the engine was running if that was the case.
Ed Prytherch