Re: alfa-digest V9 #139

I am using Marelli Plex ignition on a 73 gtv. Since buying the car 5 months
ago, I have gone through 2 new ignition control modules! The first one
lasted one week and I put its failure down to a faulty unit, but a second
unit has just failed. I am fitting it with the heat dispersion contact
grease as supplied. On both occasions the failure has occurred after I have
stopped the car - when I go back to start it again it doesn't start. The
only other electrical peculiarity is that sometimes my headlights are very
bright for short periods of time (voltage regulator malfunction?) - not sure
if this may be connected but I thought that I would throw out the
information. Any suggestions what might have caused the failings of the
control module would be greatly appreciated. I would love to avoid the
replacement of unit number 3.
Thanks in advance,
Fraser
Hmmm.. Get yourself a voltmeter and observe what your voltage is doing.. You might want to attach it semi permanently (thru clip leads or cigarrete lighter plug) so it will be sitting there when you have an "event".

Proper heat sinking is important, (mounting the part properly and using the grease like you're supposed to) since overheating will kill solid state electronics. And when it's under the hood, it's already pretty hot to start with.

Having times of unregulated high voltage could blow sensitive electronics.. perhaps that ignition module is more prone to blow than other things. Now that I think about it, a 73 probably dosen't have ANY other semiconductor electronics except your added electronic ignition!

The intermittent nature of the bright lights sounds like a connection problem, whether a loose ground or other connection can cause a "full on" alternator situation.. I don't know, but it might be that rather than the regulator. Try wiggling wires on the regulator. It could be internal to the regulator though..

The other thing, if you have a funky regulator, it might not be at a proper voltage even when it's not turning your low beams into high beams, if that's the case you could be undercharging or overcharging your battery.. and overcharging will boil it out over time, and cause early failure. You want to see 13.6 - 13.8 V ideally, when fully charged, though in a car system up to 14.4 V might not be too much, during charging. If you see more, you have a problem you need to fix fast.. for your battery and other part's sake.

Hope it helps.. BTW, Harbor freight, if you have one near, has very cheap meters ($5!) that are good enough for this kind of work..

Jon