warped rotors

Ray Boniface wrote:
>If you run your car on a track for hot laps, and sit in the pits, on the
>brake pedal, you can warp your rotors right then.
>Standard advice to all new track-timers:  When you pull off the track, get
>off the brake as soon as you stop

Agreed, but maybe not if the implication is that you should switch off and
put the car in gear.

What if your cooling system is only just able to cope with task of cooling
your engine under race conditions? So you pull off the track, and there is
still considerable heat in the cylinder head. Now do you really want to
immediately switch your engine off, so that you can put your car in gear
to save the brake rotors?

I think I'd rather risk warping rotors than the head. I guess the real moral
of the story is to take it real easy on the cool down lap..... both the
brakes and engine will thank you.

And if can find somewhere to park where you don't need the brake to stop the
car rolling (or use wheel chocks?), you can let the engine run an extra minute
if you have to.

Lex Jenner
Auckland/New Zealand