RE: GTV-6 stuff...

How would you like to have been the first owner?  Occasionally a person will
come up to me and ask about one of my Spiders.  Most have owned one in the past
and typically say they loved the car but it was in the shop all the time.
Another comment is that they haven't seen one in years.

I'm sure I exaggerated a little bit about the GTV-6 money pit but I'll tell you
I put more cash into those GTV-6's than I care to admit!  Much more so than all
the older BMW's I've gone through.  The Spiders have not been bad at all.  Once
I fixed the previous neglect of each, they have all proven to be safe and
reliable and stayed that way with just occasional TLC.

Of course each of my GTV-6's was a bit of a project to begin with but I don't
think there is a V-6 Alfa (GTV-6, Milano, 164) out there without a TON of
repair bills somewhere in its past ownership history. In the end, they all seem
to only sell for $1,500-$2,500!  Tough market out there for older Alfas...

Would I like to buy another?  Definitely!  It's amazing how often you come
across the same GTV-6's for sale on eBay, gtv6.org, etc.!

I switched from Alfa to BMW a few years back and have since brought a number of
5 and 6-series back to life and really enjoy it and have learned a lot.

However, something was missing, so I had to get a cheap Spider or two (or
three, four, etc.!) to get my 'fun' car fix.  I even talked a few local friends
into buying one of mine so now a few more Alfas roam North Carolina.  I will
say, it's VERY rewarding and reasonably inexpensive to tinker with the Spiders.

I struggle to maintain a very small and ever-changing fleet of occasionally
reliable, sub-$2,500 BMW's and Alfas.  Collectively, they are worth about the
same as the yearly depreciation of a new economy car.

That's my flawed rationalization but as long as at least one is operational at
any given time, my wife seems to put up with it!  Of course, she only drives
the best Bimmer!  Funny, I bought that car for myself...

Jeff
'78 Spider (For Sale!)
'84 Spider Veloce
'88 BMW E28 535is (240K miles!)