Re: Spider gas cap question- does it need a seal & Spuica pump question

Thanks for your reply. There seems to be different gas cap types on these vehicles. I bought both a '73 and a '74 Spider, both were original, and both had the thread on gas caps, not bayonet. The strange thing is one gas cap was larger in diameter than the other- they actually changed the size between the years which also meant a change to the gas tank filler intake diameter. Yes, my '73 and '74 (ripped apart for scraps) had different gas tanks!

-Jason

From: C2slayman@domain.elided
To: hagen_jason1@domain.elided
Subject: Re: Spider gas cap question- does it need a seal & Spuica pump question
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 00:57:12 EST

Hey Again Jason,
Your gas cap should be the bayonette style if I recall what my '74 was
like. There is a flat rubber washer captured by the two bayonette "ears"
that seals the cap against the filler tube. If your missing it, check the
size of the gasket on the oil filler cap and see how close it is. You might
be able to find one in those "Fix It" kits they sell at auto parts stores -
you know, the one's in the red shrink packs that have all sorts of different
oddball parts to repair from door handles to master cylinder reservior seals.

Regarding Spica pumps, there have been changes through the years.
It's money well spent to buy Wes Ingram's book. You can probably buy a core
from one year and convert to another year with the right parts. If you are
changing cams/intake/exhaust, the Spica needs to be tuned to account for this
- kind of like jetting carburetors.

Cheers,
Charlie