FRS vs. GMRS

I know this is ~slightly~ off topic, but these 2-way radios are becoming quite
popular for vehicle to vehicle communications during trips, rallies, club
events, etc.

Can someone please enlighten me about the FCC license requirements (i.e. fees)
concerning the GMRS radios. The cost of the 5-mile(GMRS) vs. the 2-mile(FRS)
is only about $20 more. Thus, it seems like the GMRS radios are a ~better~
purchase.

REAL QUESTION: Is the FCC really going to hunt down everyone who is using a
GMRS radio without a license?

Tim Lentz
Tampa, FL USA