Regards,

Dean
'74 & '87 Spiders

At 12:09 PM 12/14/2002, you wrote:

Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 08:28:23 EST
From: GenericWood@domain.elided
Subject: Oil Leak - fresh 2 litre

I finally got around to installing the engine I just rebuilt for my '74 GTV.
Got oil pressure up on the starter with the spark plugs out.  Re-installed
plugs, and hit the starter.  Fired right up.  Sounded good.  Looked for oil
and water leaks.  Watched oil pressure.  Everything looked great.  After 5
minutes of running, still not a drop of oil or water on the floor.
Then........a minute or two later.   A puddle begins to form under the front
pulley.  Not just a drip, but a pretty good stream.  While it is hard to see
in there, It sure looks like it is coming from the front seal, not the front
of the sump or the front cover.   But, I replaced the front seal.  The new
one went into place well.  I even cleaned up the sealing surface on the front
pulley.

Here are my questions for the group.  What else could it be besides the front
pulley?  I'm assuming a leak around the front cover o-ring seal would be
noticeable higher up?  If I somehow damaged the front seal, how difficult is
it to change in the car?  Would I have to pull the head, sump and front cover
to replace it?

Thanks in advance for you assistance!

Erik Wood
Batavia, IL