Speaking about mufflers...

So all this talk about Ansa and Stebro mufflers and seeing prices
in the hundreds of dollars, do these name brands have to be exact
matches to our cars? What I mean is if we have a muffler guy who
will cut and weld the muffler (center, rear, whatever..) can we get
a $30 - $50 Ansa or Stebro on ebay and have him operate? It is
probably even easier for him to do that than hanging a fully shaped
set of muffler with pipes.

I sometimes see Ansas for Hondas, Toyotas, BMWs, Audis, etc,
brand new for bargain prices. If the engine size is close, 2L or 2.2L
wouldn't the muffler perform the same as the one made specifically to
our cars? Are there hundreds of different models, or just a few and they
are mated to specifically bent pipes for a perfect (or near perfect) fit
for the people who don't want a welded up system?

I certainly don't need a system made especially for my car if the
muffler is the same.

Stefano
Oakland, CA