Re: Idle drop with electrical load increase

So why do my cooling fans have as much as a 600RPM effect on my idle speed? Someone said the power required to drive the fans was on the order of 1HP and that the alternator was 50% efficient, meaning that an additional 2HP should be required to maintain a given idle speed when the fans come on. Should that load really have such a noticable effect on the idle speed?

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6