Re: AlfettaGT glass & trim on a GTV6?

Paul, James and Stefano:

Thanks for the excellent tips. Sounds like the project is doable. Yippie! As for the side window stainless, yes I've seen it popping its head up from underneath the paint. But I'm not sure how I would remove the paint without scratching the attached rubber trim. I tried some paint remover but this didn't budge the paint.

My rear hatch is in excellent shape; no rust so far but I would be tempted to perform a direct 1 for 1 swap with an alfetta instead of removing the glass (I cracked my front winshield in my eagerness to experiment a couple months ago). Sounds like the front and rear glass is the same in the late alfettas as in the gtv6s.

"Paul Bayly" <thebaylys@domain.elided> wrote:

If the earlier car (Alfetta GTV 2000) has a rubber seal, then the glass should fit into the GTV6.  If it is the bonded type off the Alfetta GT (1.8) it wont fit.   I would think that the stainless strips are getting rare and expensive, and they are rust traps around the side glass.  When fitting the windscreen, fit the s/steel strip to the rubber, rubber to glass, then  assembly to body in that order.   Kink the strip and it will bother you forever !

It's a long while since I looked at a V6 but check that the strips arent just painted or rubber coated.   They may be s/steel underneath and simply require a buff and polish.

My Aussie (Euro) 1979 GTV had green tint, and my '76 GT had clear.   IIRC the first Aussie V6s had the radio antenna in the windscreen glass.

Beatle
Oz