cam cover gasket and oily coolant

Gentle Alfisti,

Anthony asked about the longevity of cam cover gaskets, so I will say that I
have found that using adhesive on the head side of the gasket only, is a good
strategy to keep the gasket flat and out of the way while your fussing with
the internal bits. Indeed, I haven't had the need to replace the cam cover
gasket in quite awhile. Tom Sahines told me the over-the-top method he uses
for his cam covers: he mills a slot in the cover to receive an o-ring, which
stands to reason would be a great seal. The o-ring would necessarily have to
be a half a meter in diameter, though, and exactly the right size. Wow.

I know from my limited experience that the Alfa cooling systems always have a
bit of oil in them. The downside of this fact is that the oil acts to
deteriorate the hoses, which should be checked and changed at regular
intervals. If Anthony has had a catastrophic gasket failure there would be no
doubt about the presence of oil in the coolant. A few drops is probably
enough to watch, but not enough on which to base a dissassembly. Just an idea.

Modelle in Somers Point