Re: fluid for '91-'93 164L 5-speed tranny

hi all,

thanks to jay & don for confirming what i'd suspected re: wrong fluid in my 164's trans. my mechanic said he made his selection on new fluid based upon what came out of the trans when the input shaft bearing was replaced. he sez he's seen atf in manuals before, & it definitely wasn't atf in there. as i'm not the original owner of the car, i can't say for sure. anyway, he's happy to replace w/atf, or redline, or the fluid of my choice. any suggestions? i remember having good results w/synthetic motor oil in my old volvo 242 gl-turbo's 5-speed, which listed synthetic oil as a substitute for its normal atf...

regards,

doug s.