Parts cleaning

While I am on the subject of being cheap, I have another trick I have been
using for over 30 years with great success.  I built my own parts cleaner
using a 55 gallon drum with the top cut off and hinged so it can be closed.
Inside, I put an open topped 35 gallon drum with holes in the bottom.
Then I put a piece of expanded wire grate cut to just fit inside the 55 gal
drum on top of the 35 gallon drum and topped that off with some fine wire
mesh.
I fill this to within 3 inches of the top of the 35 gallon drum with water.
Then top it off with kerosene to a depth of 3 or 4 inches above the wire
mesh.
The expanded wire grate and 35 gallon drum are strong enough to hold some
pretty heavy parts.
The finer wire keeps small parts from going deep sea diving.
And, the dirt settles thru the kerosene and into the water allowing the
kerosene to stay grit free almost forever.
I have heard that the kerosene absorbs moisture and causes rust problems.  I
have never had this problem.  I just make sure I wipe and oil everything down
when I am done cleaning.
The big drawback is cleaning the thing once every 20 years.  The goop that
gathers in the bottom is a mess!!

Skip
67 Duetto
Norfolk Va