Camshaft chain, and now oil in water!

Hi Fred and others,

I didn't knock my cam cover off over the weekend to adjust my timing chains and see if I could get them to stay taut.  Spent some time trying to track down a new cam cover gasket, without much luck.  My usual response in such cases is to make my own, but from what I can see, this one's not standard gasket material.

What is the cam cover gasket made of?  The one on my car looks to be about 60 thou thick, and made of a green material.  The last time the cam cover was removed, my Alfa shop used gasket cement to glue it back on, and I'm not sure whether it will come off in a single piece, and be capable of sealing again.  Pat Braden's book suggests cam cover gaskets can be reused indefinitely, if they're looked after.  Are the cam cover gaskets made of a suitably resilient material that I can count on reusing the current one?

And then, to make life even more interesting, I found oil in my radiator expansion bottle.  Just a few drops floating on the surface, and they weren't there two weeks ago or before, so I've caught it nice and soon.  But it looks like a new head gasket is in order.  The car had been sitting for nine months without running before I bought it and got it running again, so potentially the o-rings had the opportunity to dry out, shortening their life.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Anthony.