Re: Fuel in Oil

original message:

Is it possible or a common problem to have fuel in the oil pan on a Spica
spider(74)? I know that oil from the engine lube's the Spica pump. In the
process of putting an RML system on my spider (which is another story!) I
noticed the engine was turning slowly when I tried to start it. It did not
start and I think I may smell fuel in the oil. I have not dumped the oil pan
(that will have to wait to next weekend) but I remember that I had a problem
in a TR6 where a failed fuel pump pumped fuel directly into the oil sump and
got so much fluid in there that it strangled the engine!

Terry Johnston
Logan, Utah

Terry,
Sounds like a Spica pump that has worn out the plunger/cylinders and is allowing fuel past them into the oil. Might be time to send it in to Wes for a rebuild.

By the way, the Crane 3000 optical ignition (same thing as RML?) is easily the most effective mod I have made to my Spider, huge increase in reliability for little cash. Mines been firing flawlessly for several years now.

Tony Martie
78 Spider
http://tmpd.net