re: headlights

I'm officially too busy studying to post anything this weekend, but I can't let anyone waste $20 on more American headlights. The two lights you are considering are fundamentally different. The $10 pseudo-sealed-beams are complete shit, much like the lamps you already have. The difference is honestly quite negligible. It's a matter of late '50s headlights vs. mid '60s headlights. The Hella units are similar to what your Berlina should have been equipped with at the factory if it weren't sold in the USA, forever bent on inadequate, glare-inducing, dangerous lighting. However, if I recall correctly (don't have time to actually check the catalog), these are Hella's "Vision Plus" pseudo-headlights that Dan Stern, et al like to call "Vision Minus." While they're substantially superior to the American horseshit available at the local CarQuest, they're still not the real deal. Go to http://catalog.com/susq/ (Hella) or http://www.talbotco.com (Cibie) for real headlights. You can also get them from Dan Stern (forget the brand, forget the URL, forgive me). Be aware that the Hella lights are flat, and you might want to maintain the convex look of the original lights on your Berlina, and that I have some customer service complaints with Gunther at talbotco.com, so it might be worth the time to get Dan Stern's phone number.

Bottom line: spend whatever it takes and get real headlights. Or wait until you have an accident and then sue the USA government for enforcing abso-f***ing-lutely asinine lighting regulations for years and years.

Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 13:55:33 -0700
From: "Stephen D. Thompson" <thompsonlaw@domain.elided>
Subject: 7 inch Halogen headlights - Auto store vs. Hella

I want to replace the non-halogen 7 inch low/high beams in my 71 Berlina.
Just too dim for out here in the mountains.  So far my choices are halogens
from the local "Carquest" parts store for $10.00 a piece, or the $89.00 set
of Hellas from IAP.  I am going to go with the parts store ones unless there
is a substantial difference to justify and extra $30.00 per headlight.  Can
anyone comment?

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Ketchum, Idaho