Re: Sealing Doors

In a message dated 12/8/2002 11:22:35 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> From: Scott Johnson <scott@domain.elided>
> Subject: Sealing Doors
>
> The PO of my current car (1971 Spider) didn't put any moisture barriers
> inside the doors, and as a result the (really nice!) interior door
> panels rotted.

In addition to replacing the plastic vapour barrier on the door you should
also seal the back of the new panels with  a clear lacqour (?) using a spray
can.  The panel can still absorb moisture from the air, even if the vapour
barrier is installed.  This can also be done to old, "but dry" panels and
will help slow down their deterioration.  Can't remember where I read about
this trick, but I have used it regularly and with some success.

Jerry in Houston