Re: Rebuild costs (hillbilly)

<snip>
Here in the Bay Area of Calif $3500-5000 is not out of line for a full
rebuild of an Alfa four-cylinder at a respected Alfa shop.  Just the machine
work for a full-on valve job, done somewhere like Norman Racing, costs in
the range of $500.  I realize we have high labor rates around here.
I'm s-l-o-w-l-y rebuilding a 1750. My local good 'ol boy machinist resurfaced the head and ground the valves and seats (3 angle) for a total of 75.00. The head was delivered to him with the bottom exhaust studs removed (for milling), and the valves removed, cleaned, and decarboned (and labeled for correct placement). I will reassemble valves into head and adjust valve lash myself.

I did not replace the guides or valves - the head had approximately 80k on rebuild done 15 years ago which included new valves and manganese-bronze valve guides at that time. Both intake and exhaust valve guides used teflon valve guide seals.

This is all part of a budget rebuild intended to provide a running engine that will get an Alfa back on the road and last until "next summer" when I can replace it with a properly prepared 2L engine. I'm reusing the piston and liners as well as the bearings. So this rebuild consists of the valve job described above, new rings, new bottom timing chain, gaskets and seals. I also balanced the pistons and rods to equivalent weights.

I'll have between $200-300 in parts on the project and LOTS of time. I know some of the more orthodox rebuilders out there will disagree with this strategy, but it works for me.

//kct, Powell, TN