Re: '74 Spica Timing

> Here's a question for the Spica experts.  I just finished timing my Spica
> pump on the garage floor in advance of re-installing my drivetrain.  If I
> understand the process correctly, I should rotate the engine until #4 is
at
> TDC.  That is when the the TDC mark lines up and the cam lobes are
pointing
> away from each other for #4 cylinder (and yes I checked TDC with a dial
> indicator).  Then I should rotate the engine counterclockwise until the
> injection timing mark on the pulley aligns with the pointer.  At this
point,
> I should line up the marks on the pump housing and pulley and slide the
belt
> on.
>
> Wes Ingram's book says that an alternative timing method is to put the
engine
> in TDC for #1, then rotate the pump pulley counter-clockwise 13 teeth and
> slide on the belt.
>
> Here's my problem/question.  The two methods don't give me the same
timing!
> If I set the timing based on the first method, I end up 15 teeth
> counter-clockwise when trying the second method.  Knowing how difficult it
is
> to see everything when in the car, I'd like to figure it out now.  Any
ideas?
>  If all else fails, I will send an email to Wes.  But I thought I'd try
the
> digest first!

As much as I admire (revere, am humbled by) Wes Ingram, I think the
instructions for timing are a little hard to follow.  I found method # 1
(TDC #4 and rotate back to align the marks) to work the best.  I set my pump
up this way last winter, it works great.  Using the tooth-counting method
with the engine at TDC #1 wouldn't work for me either, but I can't swear I
was doing it correctly.

Tony