'74 Spica Timing

Here's a question for the Spica experts.  I just finished timing my Spica
pump on the garage floor in advance of re-installing my drivetrain.  If I
understand the process correctly, I should rotate the engine until #4 is at
TDC.  That is when the the TDC mark lines up and the cam lobes are pointing
away from each other for #4 cylinder (and yes I checked TDC with a dial
indicator).  Then I should rotate the engine counterclockwise until the
injection timing mark on the pulley aligns with the pointer.  At this point,
I should line up the marks on the pump housing and pulley and slide the belt
on.

Wes Ingram's book says that an alternative timing method is to put the engine
in TDC for #1, then rotate the pump pulley counter-clockwise 13 teeth and
slide on the belt.

Here's my problem/question.  The two methods don't give me the same timing!
If I set the timing based on the first method, I end up 15 teeth
counter-clockwise when trying the second method.  Knowing how difficult it is
to see everything when in the car, I'd like to figure it out now.  Any ideas?
 If all else fails, I will send an email to Wes.  But I thought I'd try the
digest first!

Erik Wood
'74 GTV
'56 Giulietta Spider