cold starts in Toronto

In a message dated 12/4/2002 1:01:21 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> This morning - still quite cold - she fired up almost too quickly. I just
> turned the key and she was running instantly.
>
> Questions:
> 01. What's up with that???
> 02. Power steering makes a whirring odd noise now when turned at all left
> or
> right - quiet at rest. Unrelated?

15 C is mighty cold but should not phase a 75 in tippee top shape.  Your
injectors may be clogged, your fuel line may be cracked, you may have
condensed water freezing in the fuel line, and your voltage may be low, of
which the last is the easiest to check.

If your PS makes a squealing noise at the extremes of turning the wheel, you
may be low on PS fluid, you may have a leaking rack, or you could need a new
hunk o' hose, because they can develop cracks or splits and leak; and with
your ambient temps, perhaps the hose could even shatter!

DO NOT press the accelerator when trying to start the car!  If it does not
fire up when you turn the key, there is something you need to do, and it is
NOT blow the plenum!

And put on a sweater!

Charlie
LA, CA, USA

I will not admit our local weather for fear of making enemies but news has it
if the FL weather doesn't get better in the next 2 days, the astronauts will
run out of air so the shuttle will have to land here at Edwards AFB.  If this
happens, they come in right over our house, causing two very loud sonic booms
(like launching a plenum only more so) which rattles the windows and shakes
the doors... and sets off the stupid car alarms all over town in a rolling
riot of noise.  Luckily, the ALFAS don't respond like that, they are not such
wimps that they cry if the space plane flies over the garage.