BOP V-8s and 164S

At the risk of incurring Richard's ire for going too far off-topic, let
me observe that the most interesting use of the aluminum BOP V-8 was in
Formula 1 racing.  The REPCO-Brabhams in 1966 and 1967 used this block
in 3 liter form, with specially made SOHC aluminum heads in 1966 (Denny
Hulme was World Champion) and DOHC heads in 1967 (less reliable and no
match for Lotus-Cosworth).

Rex in Albany

Alfa content:  the 164S started up this morning after refusing to do so
for about a week.  I was putting the key in the ignition to leave it for
the tow guy, and decided to try again.  First try, no noise from under
the hood.  No click, no whine, nothing (as before).  Second try, starter
spun and engine started right up.  So I drove the car to my mechanic,
who hates intermittent faults (don't we all).  I'm thinking maybe it's
the relay for the anti-theft/alarm system, which I understand shuts off
power to the starter among other things.  Other possible culprits are
the solenoid and the ignition switch.