Chains and Sprockets

Years ago with Fiat 600s and 850s the chain that drove the cams from the
crank would get pretty slack and during rebuild it turned out that the chain
had not gotten longer, but the sprocket teeth had gotten sharper with ware
and you would have to replace the sprocket inorder to get the slack out of
the chain.
When I replaced the lower chain on my last Alfa 2k rebuild the new chain did
not remove the slack that existed in the lower chain.  I looked for a new
middle sprocket but could not find one anywhere.  I am surprised that these
are not available and are not recommended to be replaced. I did find and
replace the middle sprocket bearing and it helped some.  It would seem that
the tighter the upper chain is adjusted on the Alfa engine, the more pull it
would have on the middle sprocket which would cause the middle sprocket
bearing to wear but this might actually tighten the lower chain.

Just scratching my head a little on this one.... oh well put it back together
and run it
to the red line +++ and have fun.  Never have had one break..

Any ideas.
Stan
91 Spider
86 Spider