RE: Chains and Sprockets

Dear Alfisti,

Mention of possible wear on sprockets, damage to tensioner, and possible front bearing damage due to overtensioning of the chain has me worried. How tight should the upper timing chain be? If I push down at the mid-point of the chain, how much slack should I be able to measure? If I were able to measure the force at this point, what would I find? I don't have anything to measure this force, but I could imagine pushing down on a bathroom scale which had a 2X2 piece of pine between the scale and the mid-point of the chain (ok, don't laugh too hard at this mental image).

ciao, --jim

Jim Lehman
Burdett, NY