Re: BOP v8

At 11:47 AM 12/5/02, jan ben wrote:
>Geez Nicky,  you gotta check your info before correcting people..
>
>The GM 215 was aluminum, used in '61-63 GM cars.  There were 2 versions: Olds
>and Buick,  had different blocks and heads.. there was a 2 bbl and a 4bbl
>version in each.  There was even a turbocharged version of the Olds.
>And to comment on the original post.. The Limeys didn't improve on the block
>design until 80s and head and mains design until late 90's.. The orig. Olds
>even had better head  than the Rover until lately.   People take the old Olds
>stuff to 8 grand and 500 hp in boats.

Yes. And--these engines were also the motor of CHOICE for the early,
unlimited class Can-Am sports racing cars !! Outfit known as TRACO built a
LOT of them for this purpose.

They were NEVER used in the Pontiac Tempest, although the '63 version of
the Tempest DID come with a 326 cid version of the (iron) Pontiac V-8. Of
course, in '64, the 389 became an option in the Tempest (as the "GTO") ,
and most of us know where that led.

The very SAME engine was also the ancestor of various "small block" , iron
Buick V-8's (up to 300 cid) and V-6's (3.8 and 4.1 liter). Some of the more
notable of these were the GN and GNX turbocharged V-6's, and included some
"Stage I " and "Stage II" turbo V-6 stuff than made VERY impressive power.
The 300 V-8 heads are commonly accepted as being the "best" ones for making
big power from any of the Buick/Rover V-8 variants.

Some of the later model Rover versions DID have "cross-bolted" main bearing
caps.

Greg