Re: fluid for '91-'93 164L 5-speed tranny

Doug,

Haven't  seen a response to your post, so here is some info that might help.
The shop manual specifies Shell ATF Dexron II D  20137 or the AGIP version
of Dexron II D.  ( Interesting, this is the same spec for power steering
fluid and for the automatic transmission.)  No mention of the 80W90 as you
say.  I have used Dexron II for years with no problem.

Some Alfisti prefer the Red Line MTL which is a synthetic gear oil.  There
is a discussion in the old archive regarding its use and apparently with
satisfactory results.  Since I have not read in any Alfa publication that
gear oil is acceptable/preferable, I would question where your mechanic got
his info.  My guess is that he assumed "they all use it don't they."

As to damage, can't say, Redline indicates that the synthetic gear oils
provide better protection in more extreme applications,  ATF has good better
thermal and oxidation stability which makes it better in high temperatures,
better flow characteristics in low temperatures
Follow this link to a discussion of fluids.

Other digesters can help on the damage end.

164 digest thread:
/alfa/FAQ/164/notes_13.htm#fluid

Redline tech specs link:
http://www.redlineoil.com/frames/gearolti.htm