Re: Wiper motor

In a message dated 12/2/2002 9:50:33 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 12:19:54 -0700
> From: alfacybersite <acs@domain.elided>
> Subject: Wiper motor
>
> Hmm, Ed Prytherch suggests the slowness is a mechanical problem whilst
> Jerry in Houston found his problem to be in the switching area.

Sorry it took so long to respond.  I have a dash mounted voltmeter that I
have tapped into an open switched connector inside the fusebox.  Before
changing the switch when I turned on the wipers the meter would drop from
about 12V to about 6 volts and all the instrument lighting would dim....AND
the wiper would barely move, sometimes even stalling.  I was afraid to drive
it in the rain it was so bad.  Now the meter barely blipos when I turn on the
wipers and the wipers work fine, no slowing down and no dimming of the
lights.  The GTV6 wiring to the motor does not go through a traditional
relay, it goes from the column switch through a controller that provides the
wiper delay function and the autopark function.  I think that there was some
kind of short in the wiper switch as before I could not get more than 12V on
the meter, regardl;ess of engine speed, now I get aboout 14.3.  There is no
doubt that my problem was in the wiper switch.

Jerry in Houston