BOP V8

Nick Koleszar asked -

"Will, is that the Buick marine V8 that was later sold to Rover in the
UK?"

Mais oui, you betcha, except it wasn't a marine engine. It was a 3.5
liter alloy-block-and-head job designed for the Buick Special, the Olds
F-85 and the Pontiac Tempest. Rover just wanted to buy the engines and
let GM make them, but GM, having already ditched that design in favor of
their iron V6, and looking to make back as much of their investment as
they could, said, "No, but for THIS much we'll sell you the tooling and
all the rights, and you can build them." So Rover gulped hard, coughed
up the money, then proceeded to refine the design (finding in the
process a lot more horsepower than GM had ever done) and install it into
everything, with excellent results. About ten years down the road, GM
came shuffling to Rover, hat in hand, and said, "Gee whiz, but you
Limeys have sure done good with our little engine. Reckon you could
build us a few?" And Rover, smiling politely, said, "No, but for THIS
HUGE amount of money we'll sell you the rights to build your own."
NyAAAHHHhahahaha....

Will Owen