Engine starting tricks, can be helpful...

James Cook was wondering what in the world was going on with starting his car....

While I can't shed light on why it did not start the first time, I can give you an idea why it started when you used the throttle against your better judgement....

It turns out to be one of those calibration tricks. Ford has done it for years, and I asked my mechanic about it, I found out Bosch (Alfa) does this as well. When at wide open throttle, cranking- it turns the injectors off. But ONLY at wide open, so if you flood it, don't part throttle it- as you may have the intake pop off... But when the engine is flooded, you can at least get the engine cleaned out of fuel by cranking the engine with the throttle all the way to the floor.

Neat trick...

Eric Storhok
Ann Arbor, MI

AROC Detroit Homepage: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~alfa/index.htm