Re: chain tightening

Fred -
Perhaps you can answer a question that has bothered me through 30 plus years
of working on cars both professionally and as a hobby - Why do so many of
the foreign manufacturers and those, like you, who advise owners about
maintaining their cars, insist upon rotating the engine by rolling it in
gear? It is so much easier, not to mention accurate, to turn the engine with
the crank nut/bolt. Not only that, but it can be done with the car in the
air (of course, on stands or a hoist). Most domestic manufacturers quit
recommending the rolling method years ago.

Respectfully (and I hope the response is, as well),
Ben