105/115 series castor rod bushes

I've been told that the factory recommended installation for 105/115 castor rod bushes is to place the bush "air gaps" in line with the rod (ie. so that the road pushes and pulls directly against the gaps). I noticed that this was done with the camber arms (which included the preinstalled castor bushes) that I installed about 10 months ago. After 9 months the bushes had totally chopped out and I've now replaced them with PACE polyurethane ones. I find it hard to believe that this is acceptable after 10,000 kilometres of driving to work on relatively smooth roads.

Can anyone tell my why on earth they recommend installing the OEM ones in this manner (if correct) when the logical installation would be 90 degrees to this?

Warren Reid
Melbourne, Australia
1968 1750 GTV
1986 Spider Veloce