Re: exhaust manifolds for L-jet Spider

In Alfa Digest V9 #87, Ralph said

 "The Bosch Injection is the limiting factor for making more power (w.r.t L-jet spiders)."

I beg to differ on this as with even minor changes L-jet Spider horsepower can be increased to quite reasonable levels. For instance my US spec 1986 Spider Veloce now puts out 113 Hp at the wheels, which with a conversion (power loss) factor of 0.82 applied, translates to about 137 HP at the flywheel (compared with the original 117).

Modifications were only to the head and exhaust and included: earlier 105 series 2 piece exhaust, compression raised slightly (runs on 50:50 premium/normal unleaded (Australia), 10548 cams and a small amount of porting in the head. A smaller radiator fan (cut down Berlina) is used and, well, the catalytic converter is no longer there either (although Lambda sensor is still used) The car is now a dream to drive and will actually rev out well past 6000 RPM and most of the gains have been in the mid to top end which is where the US spec engines start to die.

Warren Reid

Melbourne, Australia