cold weather maintenance tip

At 05:51 PM 11/30/02 +0000, you wrote:
Unfortunately, the concrete floor doesn't warm up so quickly, so lying on your back you can feel the heat being sucked out of you.

The way to fix this, and make working on the garage floor more pleasant in
general, is to spread out some carpet scraps under the car. It's amazing
how just a small amount of cushioning makes the floor seem a lot less
hard, and dropped parts and tools don't tend to scatter quite so far.
I switched from carpet to cardboard from large boxes - big appliance boxes are nice. Easier to move and store than carpet and you toss them when they get dirty or greasy. The smooth surface makes it easy to slide your body on them under the car and you can hear when a small part hits the cardboard and rolls.

But I still think I'll wait until spring to replace the pinion seal and parking brake cable...

//kct, Powell, TN (below freezing today)