Re: Timing chains

> >chains may be as archaic as carbs but
>
> Maybe not as much as you think  Honda seems to be using chains in its new
> engines.  in 2000 the S2000 and insight were released with chain driven

Archaic?  Belts are just cheaper for the manufacturer, and they add to the
maintenance for which the dealer can charge.

> I'm not sure about the V-8 Z4, but BMWs (4 and 6 cylinder) have always had
> chains.

Actually BMW's M20 small 6 (in use from about 1977 through the early 90's),
the M40 4, and at least one of their diesels, the M21 6, use belts.  The M10
single cam 4 and M30 single cam 6 use chains, and as far as I know all the
later inline 6's, V8's and V12's use chains, at least up through 2000.
Again, archaic?  Think what you want, but BMW's marketing hype doesn't stop
their engineers from being talented people who design very good engines.

>(yeah, yeah, I know... BMW snob... but do you really think I'll
> risk my Alfas for commuting to work? <grin>  The BMW is expendable...)

Mine's not, the Alfa would be lonely in the garage without it!

Tony
Portland, OR
70 2800 CS