Re: 164 Transaxle Lube

I can confirm for Tim that pouring gearbox lube into the dipstick hole
through a long thin tube does indeed work on the V6 164s.  I did it that
way last time.  The first time I used the quicker method of putting it
in through the reverse lights switch hole (larger and more easily
accessed, so you can use bigger tubing), but unless you need to change
the switch, it's probably simpler overall to just use the dipstick
hole.  I stuck a big funnel to the top end of the tubing and filled it
with DEX III lube.  It's slow to drain, so I'd just come back every 10
minutes and refill.  It also helped to soak the oil bottles in hot water
first to warm them up (thinner oil pours faster).

Jeff Matson
Harvard, MA USA
'91 164 L
'74 GTV 2000