engine conversions - - -

Jan Ben, "looking for info on repowering my old land rover to a diesel,"
writes "one of the diesels I am considering is a VM 2.5 TD, made in Italy.
Anybody know anything abt it?"

While Alfa used British Perkins diesels in the Giulias, I believe all later
Alfa diesels have been VMs. All I know is what is in d'Amico & Tabucchi: VM,
of Cento, near Ferrara, is (or was) a member of the Finmeccanica group, and
the Alfetta VM 4 cyl 2.0 and 2.4 turbodiesels were an adaptation and
subsequent enlargement of a previous marine engine design. For the Alfa 6 they
developed a completely new 2.5 (2494cc, 88 x 82 mm) five cylinder unit. The 75
used a 2.0 88 x 82mm four and later (like the 90) a 2.4 92 mm x 90 mm four.

Then, the book says, the 164 and the Thema used a pair of 92 mm x 94 mm 2.5 TD
engines, with several modifications to the Alfa unit, including use of a
crankcase-mounted camshaft and pushrods rather than the Lancia's
geartrain-driven overhead cam. Says that the Alfa dropped 2 hp (to 125 CV) but
picked up a bit of low-end torque.

The engine Jan is considering could be any of the three, more likely one of
the later two, or yet another; he may have a choice of several. The handsome
black crackle rocker cover with ALFA ROMEO in sans-serif block letters could
be an interesting apparition under a Land-Rover bonnet, if it fits the current
version. Wouldn't take much to restyle the grill to ape the Matta, either. The
Matta's 1884 cc petrol engine was a proper Alfa-built twin can, but was
detuned to 65 CV, so a VM Alfa Rover wouldn't smirch the badge too badly
compared to the original.

John H.