Re: Pontiac OHC/XK-E

The idea at the time was, I believe, that it would increase the Jaguar's reliability and drivability. Jags in those days were terribly unreliable due to the use of the 'British Prince of Darkness," Lucas electrics. They also had drivability problems due, mostly, to the fact that the XK engine had inadequate cooling (the engine started life as a 3.4 liter, and was subsequently punched out, first to 3.8 liters, then to 4.2. Each increase in capacity shrunk the already marginal water jacket) and and the E-type had a small radiator, so the cars tended to overheat. However, I don't feel that the electrical reliability problem needed so drastic a remedy as to replace the car's engine, and even though the Pontiac-6 had a larger water jacket than the XK engine, that still didn't address the small radiator.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

On Monday, November 25, 2002, at 12:22 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 22:15:20 -0500
From: Joe Elliott <jee@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: Pontiac OHC/XK-E

Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 12:31:33 -0800
From: Will Owen <nashwill912@domain.elided>

Howard wrote, concerning the Pontiac SOHC six -

"I suspect the E-Type with that engine in it was a fine road car as well."

I'da thunk so, but I never found out. The C&D project got underway
with a lot of editorial drum-rolls, and I for one was eager to read
how it all came out...then nothing. No progress reports, no
blow-by-blows, no pictures or road tests. As I recall it, all I read
subsequent to that was a grumpy response to some reader's imquiry
along the lines of
"Don't ask."

I would have to ask "Why?"  Why replace the silky-smooth, torquey,
265hp twincam XK six with an unproven, thrashy American engine with
what, 150hp?  Am I missing something here?  Was the notion of a
rubber timing belt really exotic enough to justify putting so much
effort into such a downgrade?  At least putting a V8 in a Spider
would yield an increase in power...

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6  (how 'bout a Buick 3800 engine?)
'73 Opel  (I'll take any engine that runs)