Re: Pontiac OHC/XK-E

Yeah. With more than 100 less HP than a REAL XK-E engine it was a dog. Now I don't know that from the C&D project (as you say, that sort of petered-out). But I knew someone who put the hot version of the Pontiac OHC-6 into a XK-150S (3.8 liter, 265 HP XK engine) suffering from a blown engine. The Pontiac mill transformed the car into a much slower vehicle. He never got the handling right either after the swap and ended up putting a 327 Chevy V-8 in it. Then it was quick and fast again but not really noticeably more so than the with the original XKS engine and he still couldn't get the handling right. He eventually bit the bullet, rebuilt the blown Jag engine and put it back in. This was 25 years ago, so i don't really remember many of the details.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

On Sunday, November 24, 2002, at 07:18 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 12:31:33 -0800
From: Will Owen <nashwill912@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: Pontiac OHC/XK-E

Howard wrote, concerning the Pontiac SOHC six -

"I suspect the E-Type with that engine in it was a fine road car as well."

I'da thunk so, but I never found out. The C&D project got underway with a lot of editorial drum-rolls, and I for one was eager to read how it all came out...then nothing. No progress reports, no blow-by-blows, no pictures or road tests. As I recall it, all I read subsequent to that was a grumpy response to some reader's imquiry along the lines of
"Don't ask."

Now, this was during one of my many long periods of poverty, when I was buying the magazine off the newsstand when I could afford to, so maybe I missed an issue. Does anyone know any more about this?

Will Owen
DooDah Day in Pasadena!

George Graves
'86 GTV-6