The thin grey oil is likely diluted by fuel, and also a bit by condensed moisture that gets mixed in. With every oil change, it's a good idea to pull out the barometric capsule (that's the piece on top of the pump with three countersunk screws), and pour a half-quart or so of fresh engine oil into the Spica pump, before you drain the engine. This will flush the old oil into the engine's sump, where you'll drain it off with the other old oil. No need to worry about overfilling the pump, as the oil will reach the proper level by draining any excess into the sump. If you have a serious case of oil dilution by fuel, that's a sure sign the pump is due for a rebuild. After you change the oil, and have driven for several hundred miles, smell the oil in the Spica and in the engine sump. There really shouldn't be any odor of fuel, but a little is acceptable, especially in the pump.

Regards,

Dean

At 10:18 PM 11/24/2002, you wrote:

Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 18:17:29 -0600
From: Tony Martie <tony@domain.elided>
Subject: Spica is off, more questions

It took quite some time today but my Spica pump is out of the car.  The
pump was working fine but leaking oil.  Now I'm not so sure about it's
condition.  The oil that ran out of it was very grey and thin, kind of
milky.  What is the probable cause and consequence of this?

The mounting gasket is almost paper thin.  Do I need to cut a new one
of these or are they available anywhere?  I ask because the only cut it
your self gasket material I have seen is quite a bit thicker and I am
concerned that thicker material might keep that little o-ring from
sealing effectively.

Thanks again, you guys are the best.  Without this group I would surely
be shelling out a lot of money to mechanics.

Tony Martie
78 Spider
http://tmpd.net