Re: Pontiac overhead cam

--- "Watry, Andrew (LNG-SFR)"
<Andrew.Watry@domain.elided> wrote:
> The Pontiac overhead cam engine was an SOHC engine,
> not DOHC.  I want to say
> 1965ish is when it was introduced (in the Le Mans?),
> but my reference
> magazines are at home and I am at work.   I don't
> think it was a raging
> success.
> For their own inscrutable reasons, Car and Driver's
> editors dumped one of
> those engines into a Jaguar XKE in place of the
> twin-cam Jag engine in the
> late 60s or early 70s and then tested it on a drag
> strip.
>
> Andrew Watry
> Berlina Register
> --
Listers,
     A friend of mine had a 4 barrel model of that
Tempest with a 4 speed tranny. The engine was a
bear..about 150 real HP..felt like it was at the rear
wheels too..pulled like a 326 V-8..got good
milage..and operated with very little engine noise..
     I suspect the E-Type with that engine in it was a
fine road car as well.
Howard
1977 kammback Spider
http://mailplus.yahoo.com