Anyway, Road & Track called that Firebird the American XKE. I drove one. It wasn't even an American XK120, much less an XKE.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

On Friday, November 22, 2002, at 09:19 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:04:22 -0500
From: "Watry, Andrew (LNG-SFR)" <Andrew.Watry@domain.elided>
Subject: Pontiac overhead cam

The Pontiac overhead cam engine was an SOHC engine, not DOHC. I want to say
1965ish is when it was introduced (in the Le Mans?), but my reference
magazines are at home and I am at work. I don't think it was a raging
success.
For their own inscrutable reasons, Car and Driver's editors dumped one of
those engines into a Jaguar XKE in place of the twin-cam Jag engine in the
late 60s or early 70s and then tested it on a drag strip.

Andrew Watry
Berlina Register