I remember a product described in Road & Track maybe 30 years ago that was interesting. It was called the Cyberlight and it had a short, wide lens that mounted along the top edge of the rear license plate. The light was activated by the brake pedal, but had an accelerometer built into the circuit as well. Higher rates of acceleration (during braking) resulted in the light flashing at a faster rate, which was supposed to attract more attention. As I recall, they were tested on a fleet of NYC taxi cabs, and the rate of rear end collisions decreased by some impressive number, like 40%. Maybe a good idea that got neglected by NHTSA and/or DOT, or maybe the Cyberlight inspired the center brake lights we all have now. Who knows? I do know that I've almost always got one eye on my Spider's rear view mirror when I'm stopped at an intersection. I happen to have a NOS Cibie rear fog light (red lens) that is almost blindingly bright, and I guess I could always give that a try as a third brake light.

Regards,

Dean

At 05:32 PM 11/22/2002, you wrote:

Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:43:35 -0800 (PST)
From: Paul Witek <pwitek@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: LED "bulbs" for Spider tail lights

I think the primary problem with these LED "bulbs" is that they're trying to replace incandescent bulbs in a taillight designed for incandescent bulbs.

Light bulbs are a "point source"; that is, without reflectors, the light travels pretty much in all directions from the filament. Taillights use reflectors to shine the light from the sides of the bulb out through the lens.

LEDs are far more directional; by and large there is very little light leakage off to the sides. Without this, you end up with a small circle of illumination on the lens, right over the bulb.

Add to this fact that as yet, even the brightest LED's are a far cry from putting out the light of a 79-cent 1156 bulb. New production cars that use LED's in the taillight use a large array of them (with no reflectors).

I suppose one could mount a ton of individual LEDs on some perf board (or etch a circuit board) the same shape as the lens of a taillight - this would put out much closer to the original light output and pattern.

You can always spot cars with LED taillights, they're somewhat odd in that the light is on, then instantly off - you don't realize how conventional bulbs "fade out" as the filament cools until you see an LED taillight switch off.

- - Paul Witek