Re: Berlina cooling system question

In a message dated 11/21/2002 9:08:34 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Subject: Berlina cooling system question
>
> I just noticed that the PO of my Berlina removed the bottom 1/3 third
> of the fan shroud.
>
> Over the past three months, I have seen higher than usual coolant
> temps.  I am overhauling the cooling systems - new cap, thermostat,
> hoses, coolant, etc.  Does anyone know how much the missing shroud
> section will affect my results?

In the bad old days this was commonly done (also on Spiders) to allow the
radiator to be removed without the hassle of taking off the engine driven
fan.  I have never heard of it causing a cooling problem.  Others may have
other experiences.  You state that you just started noticing the higher than
normal temp over the last 3 months.  I don't know how long you have owned the
car, but if it is more than 3 months I suspect your problem lies elsewhere.
Maybe a failing water pump or thermostat.

Jerry in Houston